An update from our students who are away competing in the Maadi Cup 2018.
The boys have made a good start to racing.
A number have managed to avoid knock out repechages with high placings in the heat racing, qualifying directly for quarter and semi-finals later in the week.
- Under 17 Single Sculls – Three boys moved directly into quarter finals
- Under 16 Quad – Won its heat and moves directly into the semi finals
- Under 17 Doubles – Progressed into the quarter final
- Under 15 Eight – Won it heat and progressed directly to the National Final on Friday
- Under 15 Quad – Progressed directly into the quarter final
- Under 18 Single Scull – progressed directly to quarter finals
Several other boats remain in finals contention after day one, they will race in knock out repechages later in the week.
"Winners of the two heats in the boy’s under 15 coxed eight dominated the field, with Shirley Boys’ High School winning their heat by 8 seconds and Hamilton Boys’ High School winning their heat by 10 seconds. Both crews progress straight to the A final on Friday, making for a classic North vs. South showdown" - The NZ Herald
Tomorrows heat racing continues with the second half of the events schedule.
We are looking to our Under 16 Eight and single sculls amongst others to progress but it will be tough as the best in New Zealand have definitely turned up.
Boys thoughts are with the families of the car accident on Sunday and the school. They plan to wear black arm bands in support of the families through racing tomorrow.